Distinctly Teen is designed for individual young ringers (8th–12th grade) who wish to stretch their ringing skills and challenge their musicianship.
Participants will spend 2 ½ days working on intermediate to advanced repertoire and developing skills in handbell technique and general musicianship under the leadership of Barb Walsh. The event schedule will combine dedicated rehearsal and class time for Distinctly Teen with the opportunity to attend classes offered as part of the Handbell Musicians of America National Seminar.
About the Director
Barb Walsh has been the Northern Nevada/Eastern Sierra Regional Coordinator for Handbell Musicians of America since 1993, and was a public school music teacher in the Reno/Sparks, Nevada, area for 33 years, receiving Educator of the Year Award from the Nevada Music Educators Association in 2014. She has developed handbell programs ranging from elementary school children to the adult community group, Tintabulations, known for their high energy, innovation, and musicianship.
When not teaching, directing or ringing, Barb plays flute/piccolo in local orchestras and shares backcountry adventures with her husband, dog and horses.
Each registrant is responsible for purchasing the following music:
- Bound for South Australia – traditional sea shanty, arr. Alex Guebert, Distributed by The Golden Dance, http://www.HandbellMusic.com.
- Gaudeamus, Arnold B. Sherman, Agape Music, #1764
- I Wonder as I Wander, Brian Childers, GIA Music, #G-9450
- Participants who register before April 15 will also get to vote for one of the following pop tunes to be arranged for the event by Nick Hanson.
- The pop tune options will include:
- Blinding Lights – The Weeknd
- What Makes You Beautiful – One Direction
- Levitating – Dua Lipa
- Take You Dancing – Jason Derulo
Registration fee is $125 and includes:
- All scheduled event activities
- Event T-Shirt
- Sonos Concert
- Danny Lyons Concert
- Agape Ringers Concert
- Lunch Thursday, Dinner on Thursday and Friday
|Distinctly Teen Schedule|
|Thursday, July 15|
|10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Distinctly Teen Check-in, Welcome, and Lunch||DT||Cira B|
|10:15 AM – 10:30 AM||Break||NS|
|12:00 PM – 4:30 PM||Distinctly Teen Rehearsal & Teen Only Class Sessions||DT||Solana HI|
|4:30 PM – 5:30 PM||Distinctly Teen Dinner||DT||Solana HI|
|5:30 PM – 6:45 PM||Concert – Sonos||DT/NS||Solana E|
|7:00 PM – 8:30 PM||Distinctly Teen Rehearsal||DT||Solana HI|
|Friday, July 16|
|9:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Distinctly Teen Rehearsal||DT||Solana HI|
|1:00 PM – 1:30 PM||Concert – Danny Lyons||NS/DT||Solana E|
|1:45 PM – 3:00 PM||Session 11||NS/DT||All Breakouts|
|3:00 PM – 3:15 PM||Break||NS/DT|
|3:15 PM – 4:30 PM||Session 12||NS/DT||All Breakouts|
|4:30 PM – 5:30 PM||Happy Hour in Handbell Commons||NS||Event Center|
|5:00 PM – 6:00 PM||Distinctly Teen Dinner||DT||Solana HI|
|6:00 PM – 7:30 PM||Distinctly Teen Rehearsal||DT||Solana HI|
|8:00 PM – 9:15 PM||Concert – Agape Ringers||NS/DT||Solana E|
|Saturday, July 17|
|8:00 AM – 10:15 AM||All Star/DT Dress Rehearsal||NS/DT||Solana E|
|10:30 AM – 12:00 PM||All Star/ Distinctly Teen Concert||NS/DT||Solana E|
Deb Heine Scholarship for Young Ringers
The Deb Heine Scholarship for Young Ringers provides assistance to qualified individuals for participation in Handbell Musicians of America’s national events. In 2021, two scholarships will be made available for attendees of the Handbell Musicians of America Distinctly Teen.
- Full registration
- Shared occupancy of a double hotel room July 15 and 16, 2021, at the event hotel
- Up to three hundred dollars ($300.00) to be reimbursed for travel expenses
- Applicants must be full members of Handbell Musicians of America, affiliated with a recognized member organization, or participants in a group directed by a full Guild member
- Applicants must be young ringers — under the age of 20 at the time the event occurs
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need
- Applicants must describe desire to attend and goals to be realized by participating in Distinctly Teen and how knowledge gained there will be shared
- Applicants must include a statement of support from a Guild member