Master Class in Conducting
This event gives experienced conductors the opportunity to further perfect their skills through one-on-one training with Dr. William Payn.
Attend as a Conductor or a Ringer-Observer. Each conducting participant will be assigned one piece to learn and conduct under Dr. Payn’s tutelage. Participating conducting students and ringer-observers will form the choir that each will lead.
The event concludes with a final showcase concert where each conducting student will present their piece for an audience.
Not quite ready to step to the podium? Then participate as a Ringer-Observer. You will ring for the student conductors and watch Dr. Payn work first hand.
Master Class Registration
For those who wish to participate as conductors, an application is required before acceptance to the event. The application requires candidates to provide a link to a video of them conducting. The video should show a full body view (head to toe) of the applicant facing the camera while conducting two selections of contrasting styles. The application will also request information about each candidate’s music education and handbell experience.
Ringer/-Observers do not need to submit an advance application – just proceed to registration.
Conductors – $495 (limited to 13, pre-application required)
Ringer/Observer – $400
Application and registration materials will be available February 15.
- Login to your Handbell Musicians of America Member Account
- Conducting applicants:
- From the login welcome screen, follow the link to the Conducting Application.
- Answer all the questions on the application.
- Include a link to a RECENT(made within the past 6 months) video on YouTube of you conducting two pieces of contrasting styles. The camera taking the video should be placed above and behind the ringing choir so that it captures a full-body view of the conductor facing the camera. Load the video to YouTube as “unlisted” and provide the link in the space indicated on the application form. Videos not following these requirements could result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
- Note: You cannot save and return to the application, so please have the video uploaded and link available BEFORE you begin the application.
- Submit the completed application by 5:00 PM Eastern on April 3, 2017.
- After the deadline, all applications will be reviewed and successful candidates will be selected based on the merit of their application and video submission.
- Those selected will be provided with the link to register for the event as a conductor.
- NO CONDUCTING CANDIDATES SHOULD REGISTER FOR THE EVENT BEFORE THEY ARE OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED.
- Ringer/Observers – follow the registration link on the login welcome screen to complete and pay for your registration.
Register for both National Seminar and Master Class and receive a 10% discount on your Master Class registration. Complete your National Seminar registration first to receive the discount for Master Class.
See the General Event Schedule
All event activities will take place at the Hyatt Regency Orange County.
Conveniently located near Anaheim, this hotel in Orange County is a spectacular resort destination for families, business travelers, and vacationers. Kick back and relax in spacious rooms and suites featuring flat-screen TVs and modern decor. Savor Italian cuisine at TusCA Restaurant or enjoy a local microbrew at OC Brewhouse.
Guests enjoy perks like the Disneyland® Resort shuttle service. Just a short drive away, Orange County beaches, shopping outlets and attractions offer endless vacation fun. Unwind after a day of sightseeing or theme park adventure at our two outdoor heated pools or rejuvenate in the whirlpool. Pick up a basketball game on the sports court or get re-energized in the StayFit™ Gym.
Special Rates for Master Class
Single/Double Standard $149/night plus tax (17%)
Additional Guests (3 or 4 per room) $25 each night
To receive the group rate, make your reservations by following this link https://aws.passkey.com/go/Handbell2017
You may also call 1-888-421-1442 and ask for rooms in the Handbell Musicians of America block.
To ensure the event rate, please make your reservations before June 16, 2017.
All rates include in-room internet access. Rates will be offered 3 days before and 3 days after the event dates, based on availability.
To ensure that we are able to meet the room block required by the Hyatt Regency Orange County, registrants who opt for alternate lodging are required to pay an additional surcharge of $150.00. This surcharge does not apply to registrants with a home address within a 60-mile driving radius of the event site. Lodging requirements will be confirmed using a rooming list of reservations provided by the Hyatt Regency.
A full refund, minus a $150 administrative charge, will be issued for cancellations made prior to June 15, 2017 Cancellations made after June 15 are non-refundable. If the reserved space can be filled by someone on the waiting list, a refund less the $150 administrative charge will be given.
Dr. Payn is incredible at meeting directors of all levels where they are and moving them forward. I found that even attending this event as a ringer, I gained incredible insight into individual requirements for conducting that I might not have realized were needed. Amazingly, while I arrived terrified, I left more aware of my strengths and weaknesses and more excited to work toward improvement.P.L. Grove